Should Owner-Operators Use A Truck Dispatch Service?
It is needless to say that working with any truck dispatch service company can prove to be either a good or bad decision that owner-operators ever take. Most of you probably do not even know much about a truck dispatcher. Before you even decide to work with them, it is important that you know who they are and what they basically do.
What Do You Mean By A Truck-Dispatcher And What Do They Do?
When you talk about a truck dispatch service provider or a truck dispatcher, it basically means a person who helps owner-operators manage several of the back-office aspects of operating a trucking company. There are some freight dispatchers who provide end-to-end services, which is managing every part of such a business that may include finding the loads to the point of ensuring that shippers pay all their invoices on time. At the same time, there are certain dispatchers who specialize in some specific services.
Some of the types of services provided by a dispatcher.
- Searching Loads: This type of service is the most important amongst all types of services provided by a dispatcher. This is especially true for all those owner-operators who are comparatively new and have just started a business without any proper list of possible clients.
- Managing Drivers and Assigning Loads: It is important for a dispatch service to be familiar with all your drivers, along with their availability, the hours of their stay at home, and their routes. This is rather helpful when it comes to matching a load with the best possible resource in order to deliver it.
- Maintaining A Proper Motor Carrier Compliance: In a way this is rather important to make sure that you stay on the road and continue pulling loads, which is your primary business.
- Managing Handling Issues and Weather Delays: It is important for you to note that a good dispatcher can always assist you in dealing with any type of weather delays and traffic congestions that may pose major threats for you.
Are They Really Helpful For Your Trucking Company?
If you wish to know the answer, in short, a proper truck dispatch service can prove to be a major asset and a rather crucial partner in assisting you to operate a trucking company in an extremely successful manner. These service providers are especially useful for those drivers who are recently transitioning from the level of a company driver to owner-operators.
If you wish to use the services of a dispatch service provider then it is important for you to consider the following factors.
- Try And Get Some Recommendations: You may seek some guidance from your owner-operator colleagues and ask them about the best dispatch service provider that they can recommend. This is probably one of the best ways for you to locate a service that fulfills your needs.
- Find out The Services You Require: Even before you decide to hire a dispatch service provider, better list down the types of services you need. Make a note of the services you can do and those you need help with while operating your business.